"Airing the Babies" on Wolseley Avenue circa 1910
Villa Rosa was founded in 1898 by the Misericordia Sisters, who created a safe environment where a pregnant single person could find shelter during their pregnancies.
In an effort to embrace members of all faiths and ethnic backgrounds Villa Rosa has evolved over the years into a community-run organization that celebrates the diversity of our residents and strives to honour all denominations and traditions. While the founding vision of providing a safe place for pregnant persons remains intact, Villa Rosa has changed substantially in recent decades.
Residents were once mostly middle class women sent to complete their pregnancies away from home. Villa Rosa now primarily serves some of the most vulnerable persons in Manitoba. These are pregnant persons who often face considerable hardships and have health issues and emotional needs that require significant care.
Villa Rosa was incorporated in 1965 and became a charitable organization in 1967.